Autoupdate wizard UI spec
Author: Jindra Dinga
Version: first draft
Last update: 03/15/2005
The AutoUpdate module is configured to check the content of Update Centers after some period of time. Users have complained that the Connecting dialog is intrusive and makes some users to disable this functionality. This is undesirable because we use the unique hits to the update center as a measure for tracking active users.
I propose to connect in background and to hide this dialog. An icon will notify users only when new available updates are found (or the connecting fails).
Hide the Connecting dialog invoked automatically by system when checking available updates on subscribed Update Centers. Do checking in the background and notify the user only when new updates are found or the connecting fails. The user should be notified non-intrusively by an icon in the IDE status line. Different icons will be used to indicate "updates available" and "failed connection" states.
The proxy settings should be taken from the registers by default so there should not be any error caused by proxy.
AutoUpdating can be invoked by:
- system - system automatically starts updating in certain period of time
- user - user manually starts updating
If the updating is started automatically, a user should not see any feedback unless the wizard finds available updates on the Update center. If there is a problem caused by e.g. internet connection, these problems should not disturb user from working in the IDE.
If the updating is invoked by user, the behavior of update wizard should be:
1. After selecting the Update Center, connection dialog is invoked. This modal dialog should be minimized to the status line and be represented as a progress indication there.
2. If there is a problem, it should be announced to the user by a modal dialog (figure 1). If there are not any updates on the Update Center, it should be announced to the user as well (figure 2).
figure 1 - appearance of Error dialog
figure 2 - appearance of Warning dialog
3. If there are any updates, the wizard should continue with its next step (shows available updates).
Because there is no time for implementing previous proposal, different solution will be implemented (see details bellow).
- Checking is posted in background and it is hidden, it does not disturb users, no dialog pop ups.
- If there are no new updates on the Update Center no feedback should be displayed.
- If the wizard has found new updates, it should be announced to the user by displaying an icon (will be provided) in right corner of the status line. This icon should stay there unless the user clicks on it (it invokes the autoupdate wizard - shows available updates). The tool tip should state: <Updates found. Click here to proceed with module selection.>.
- In case there is a problem during connection to the Update Center, it is announced by displaying an icon (will be provided) in right corner of the status line. This icon should stay there unless the user clicks on it (it invokes a modal dialog - see figure 1 - picture above). The tool tip should state: <Unable to connect to the Update Center. Click here for more details.>.
- Appropriate info e.g. "Checking for updates..." is displayed in the left par of status line (info area).