Version Option settings in NetBeans UI Specification
Author: Josef Pavlicek
$Id: VersioningOptionSettings.html,v 1.3 2007/04/11 16:41:30 josefpavlicek Exp $ (see full CVS history)
$Date: 2007/04/11 16:41:30 $
- Versioning system Use Cases
- Versioning system settings UI design
- Open Issues
Motivation of this specification is to redesign the option settings of Versioning Systems like Subversion, CVS and Local History.
Primary goal is to redesign the option settings of Versioning Systems paced in NetBeans
If the user works with the NetBeans IDE he/she sometimes needs to open the versioning system settings:
- CVS settings
- Subversion settings
- Local History settings
- Diff settings
- and other like Clear Case if we implemented it in the future etc.
The user supposes to have these settings placed in the same logic order like they are in the Versioning main menu. The is looking for them in the Tools - >Options main manu item.
The user opens Tools -> Options. The system shows the Option Settings dialogue (Figure 1):
- The system allows the user open the Versioning settings by click on the Versioning Icon placed (Figure 1.2) on the General panel.
- The user can use mnemonic shortcut I too (Figure 1.3)
- If the user press the Versioning system button, the system shows him/her list of versioning systems placed in the IDE (CVS, Subversion, Local History and Diff settings or other if the user has more versioning systems) (Figure 1).
- Each settings is placed into separated tab.
- The user can choose from:
- CVS settings (Figure 2),
- Subversion settings (Figure 3),
- Local History settings (Figure 4),
- Diff settings (Figure 5),
- or other (Figure 6).
Figure 1 description:
Figure 1 shows the option menu dialogue design.
Figure 1.2 description:
Figure 1.2 shows the design of Versioning system icon. For downloading it click here.
Figure 1.3 description:
This figure shows the detail of mnemonic for Versioning system.
Figure 2 description:
The system allows the user to set:
- Status Label Format of annotation,
- Apply "Exclude from commit action",
- Wrap commit messages by the number of characters,
Figure 3 description:
The system allows the user:
- Set Subversion (SVN) executive path,
- To manage Subversion connection settings,
- Set Subversion status label form.
Figure 4 description:
The system allows the user set:
- The delay how long the system will stored the files - File History Days
- Nub er of still stored files.
For information go to Local History UI Specification.
Figure 5 description:
Figure 5 shows the Diff settings design. The user can select between Internal Diff engine and External Diff. By default is selected Internal Diff.
- Label "Command"
- Text box
- Button "Browse"
are disabled and have standard gray color.
If the user chooses the External Diff, the system activates the Label and Text Box and Button for click.
Figure 6 description:
We have to supposed to have more version system in NetBeans in future. If we add a new settings, this settings will be realized by new tab in the Versioning panel.
Open issue is, if we have to have DIFF inside of Version settings or in different places.
Thanks CVS team for helping, consultation and very good suggestions.
Ing. Josef Pavlicek, Ph.D.
Human Interface Designer
Software eXperience Design
Sun Microsystems Czech s.r.o
Phone:+420 233 009 442
GSM: +420 737 38 54 75