New icons in the main ToolBar
- Design specification
- Open issues
There is a request to have the same style and size of icons in the following products:
Netbeans, Sun Studio, Rave, Renier.
Redesign icons in the main ToolBar is the first phase and this document describes new UI and behaviour of that.
We reduced amount of icons in the Toolbar visible by default as well.
We introduce the new concept of dynamical Toolbar, but its implementation in promotion D depends on resources in core team.
- Create bigger icons (24x24) into the ToolBar
- Create small versions (16x16) for menues
- Reduce amount of icons visible by default
We decided to create dynamical behavior of the main Toolbar after discussions among
developers and designers.
They have more different request and it wasn't possible to satisfy them all by one short Toolbar.
We agreed with them on necessity to have right icons for different modes on the other hand.
So we have defined dynamical right part of the main Toolbar, which will adapt itself for different modes in the IDE (e.g. editing and debugging modes).
- When user starts IDE for the first time, then he will see reduced count of icons by default (Editing configuration of the main ToolBar)
- When user starts debugger mode, then additional Debug Toolbar will appear (Debugging configuration of the main ToolBar)
- This Debug Toolbar will disappear after finishing debugger session.
- When user displays Debug Toolbar from Contextual menu manually, then it will be visible still, independently of changing of modes
- When user create a new configuration of the main ToolBar from contextual menu, then dynamical concept will not work
Reduced set of icons for mode of editing is the following:
*** File Toolbar (default)
*** Edit Toolbar (default)
*** Build and Run Toolbar (default)
Build Main Project
Clean & Build Main Project
Run Main Project
Run Main Project in Debugger
Dynamical ToolBar for mode of debugging:
*** Debug Toolbar
Run to Cursor
*** Versioning Toolbar
*** Memory Toolbar
- User can change size of icons between bigger (24x24) and smaller (16x16) size anytime from contextual menu above Toolbars.
- Old icons (16x16) in other modules from the Update center should
fit into the new design of 24x24 icons. We created default "placeholder" icon
and the small version of icons (16x16) will be merged automatically together with this
bigger placeholder in a case, when main Toolbar is switched into bigger (24x24) mode.
icons before merging automatically merged icons
User can invoke Contextual menu above each ToolBar. Then the following popup menu will be shown:
There is possibility to show/hide each toolbar from View menu by keyboard.
User can press F10 key for focusing main menu or he can use ALT+V shortcut for invoking of View menu.
Toolbars submenu item exists in this View menu and it invokes list of Toolbars, their configuration, possibility to Configure Toolbars and possibility to Save new configuration.